Friday, March 19, 2010

Nicholas Sparks started the Fire

What is it with chick flicks? I honestly don't get them anymore. I mean sure, I'll watch them but after it's over I'm always left with the same thought. Why the hell did I pay money/spend two hours to watch something that I knew would make me cry?

Don't real life situations do that enough? Why do we need to seek out more reasons to make us feel sorry for ourselves and/or use up all the tissues in the house?

Offender in question: Nicholas Sparks. Known to write many a tearjerker, most of which have become major motion pictures.
Analysis: Mr Sparks was either never loved as a child, or he wrote most of his stories while he was in very tumultuous relationships. I mean, come on.

Think of the song from the Wedding Singer, 'Somebody Kill Me.' Remember how he wrote half that song while he was with Linda and the other half after they broke up?

I think Sparks starts his stories while he's madly in love, and creates wonderfully perfect situations that give his audience hope, love and faith. We feel all warm and fuzzy when the story begins. Then somewhere along the way, tragedy strikes. And tragedy ALWAYS strikes.

Someone either dies, or leaves, or just doesn't love you back the way you want them to. I think that's when Sparks breaks up with his girlfriend in real life and he gets bitter and angry. So he decides to kill off the character that initially won the hearts of so many hopeful readers/viewers. It's such an anti-climax.

Imagine this scenario, your mum gives you a new toy. It's the best toy in the world and every time you play with it, nothing else matters and no other toy can ever compare. One day, you wake up to play with your favorite toy, it's what you've been doing for the last 6 months, it's your best friend, your security blanket, your comfort zone.

To your shock and horror, you realize the toy is gone. You can't find it anywhere, you ransack your entire room but to no avail. You ask your mum where it is and she stares at you blankly, "What toy? I don't remember giving you a toy," she says, making you feel like an idiot. You try to convince her that you had it for the last 6 months, you even describe it to her but she continues to look puzzled and claims she still doesn't know what you're talking about.

This is when you start to question yourself. You begin to wonder if the toy really existed at all in the first place. Was it really all your imagination? After countless hours of debating this in your mind, you deduce that maybe you never had the toy at all and it had been just a dream.

THAT'S what Nicholas Sparks does to you when you watch one of his god-forsaken, so-called 'romantic' movies. At first, you get all googly-eyed and there are so many 'aww' moments that give you a sense of hope that true love really exists. Don't get me wrong, I'm a strong believer in true love, but not the kind they show in movies.

In this case, you're left in tears and heartbroken because like I said before, someone either dies, leaves or doesn't love you back. Is that really what we should expect in real life? Cause that would suck I tell ya.

I mean sure, we can't go on believing that life is going to be a fairy tale either but my gosh, the sheer morbid thought of love ending with a tragedy is just, well, tragic!

I for one, am going to pledge against chick flicks for the time being because people like Nicholas Sparks are just adding fuel to the fire that resonates deep within all hopeless romantics. The fire that goes with the saying, "If you play with matches, you will get burned."

My thoughts are, if you read/watch Sparks, your warm, fuzzy feelings will go up in flames. And not in a good way.


No comments:

Post a Comment