Thursday, March 18, 2010

Burn After Reading, oops you can't!

I've concluded that this blog is going to be a substitute for a psychiatrist. After all, what do they really do except tell you things you already know? I believe this expression of my thoughts and feelings will not only help me understand myself better, but it will also serve as a keepsake for years to come.

The beauty of this entire soliloquy is that I am saving paper by writing all of this online, and the other thing is, (this could work both ways) it will last forever. I mean, yeah I could just click 'delete blog' but that would just be a copout wouldn't it? Who knows.

My lecturer mentioned something interesting today, he claimed he would rather be a 'living coward' than a 'dead hero'. Really? I'd always thought most of us would instinctively want to leave a legacy behind as opposed to cowering in the face of adversity.

It saddens me how selfish our society is. Not just selfish, but arrogant, cold, almost robotic.

I am confident enough to say that I am a considerate human being, who gives way to my fellow man. I hold lift doors open, give up my seat when I have to, it's really not that difficult to show respect and have an awareness of the people around you.

I wish I could say the same for my fellow citizens. This is not a generalization whatsoever, I am sure there are many caring, wonderful people in our fine country. The sole purpose of pointing out this observation is to question the selfish, impatient and ignorant members of our society.

Why do you seem miserable/angry/brazen/rude?
We live in such a lovely place. One that is safe, clean, efficient and beautiful.

Let's examine a case study of my unabashed accusations. This is a story of Frank, our protagonist, who will exemplify the shocking behaviour of an inconsiderate citizen, just for argument's sake.

Frank takes the MRT everywhere. He doesn't like waiting so he stands right in front of the MRT door, ensuring that he's going to be the first one that gets on. When the MRT stops, his nose is literally 2 inches from the door. He absolutely cannot miss his train. It does not matter to him that 10 people are waiting to alight on the other side of those doors, one of whom is an old lady carrying many shopping bags.

Frank pushes past the crowd of people who are getting off the train and makes a beeline for the special 'reserved seats'. The alighting passengers make 'tsk-tsk' noises and shake their heads at him disapprovingly. He doesn't seem to notice a pregnant lady board the train at the next stop.

Instead of giving his seat to 'someone who needs it more', Frank pretends to be asleep. He continues this charade until it is his stop. Frank doesn't really like walking behind people on escalators or stairs so he takes the lift down. He fails to see a mother and 2 of her young children calling out to him to hold the lift door open. Oblivious to their angry glares, he presses the little 'close door' button and continues on his way.

Now, looking at the 3 different instances where Frank has been completely ignorant and inconsiderate, it's quite plain to see that something's wrong with the picture. Quite Frankly, it's difficult to educate someone on what they should already know just as plain and simple as knowing that you have to look before you cross a busy road, or that you have to pay for a meal when you eat at a restaurant.

I've concluded that you obviously can't change people and situations so the only alternative for me at this point is to move to a country where the citizens don't infuriate me. "There are assholes everywhere in the world, you can't escape them," you might say.

True that, but I stayed in Perth for 3 years, and not once did I encounter a situation that caused the distaste I have for the impudence here.

Even today, a simple shopping trip proved to be so challenging and blood-boiling. It suddenly dawned on me that
a) Chivalry is dead and gone
b) I still seem to be invisible even when I'm carrying 4 large, heavy bags full of groceries and
c) Some people just have NO concept of personal space and proceed to walk straight into you instead of around you

I also developed a temporary dislike for NS men. Usually, I commiserate with them having to serve the country for 2 years of their life and I feel sorry that they have to make painful sacrifices during this time, like having less time with their girlfriends, families, bands, sports etc.

But sometimes, tonight in particular, they really irritate me. To my very core. Okay, I get it, you're a tough army man, you work out tons and you've got a lovely tan. But do you really have to be such an Alpha Male, and take up the entire covered walkway with your overdosed testosterone levels of machismo?

I have to squeeze my way past you with my bags while you walk nonchalantly and take up more room than you should. And this is not just one or two, this is an entire troop of you morons. I know you're tired after a whole week in camp and you can't wait to go home and do whatever it is you do when you have free time. But come on, meet me halfway here. A few of you even hit me on the shoulder as I tried to avoid your bulky soldier bodies.

Another bone I have to pick with you army boys. You get verbally abused while you're in camp. You're bullied, made fun of, pushed to your physical, mental and emotional limits. The army claims to make a man out of you. And yet, after all this, you seem to
a) have to depend on your parents to pick you up when you book out and
b) have little or no tolerance for a little bit of rain, judging from the way you avoid it like the plague.

Come on boys, it's rain for God's sake, not hailstones! I'll forgive you for reason (a).
Simply because I know mothers miss their sons and want to see them sooner so that's why they come and get you from the station.

But I just can't understand (b). ! It's not a hurricane, not even a thunderstorm. You're practically dressed for this kind of weather and yet you seem to prance around like little girls when a raindrop hits your forehead. Be a man, pretty please.

Well I've had my rant. I feel much better now having gotten all that off my chest. I'm not a hater. I suppose I am very opinionated and it is never my intention to offend or be condescending. It might just be me PMS-ing half the time. But sometimes, just sometimes, I might just have a point.




No comments:

Post a Comment