Tuesday, August 27, 2013

That Apple Show

I still have approximately 3 weeks before I get my hands on the first 10 movies of The Big 250. So in the meantime, I thought I'd write some ramblings about recent movies I've seen. 

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS
Jobs
Starring Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney & Josh Gad
Directed by Joshua Michael Stern




IMDB gave this a mere 5.4 out of 10 but I quite enjoyed it! It's the story of Steve Jobs and how he evolved from a college dropout to a household name etc etc. Truth be told, I actually didn't know enough about him before watching the movie so it was hard to determine the authenticity of his demeanor, mannerisms, behavior and life story. However, I was fairly impressed with Ashton Kutcher's performance and I thought he was pretty intense, especially when he was talking to Bill Gates on the phone about how 'IBM stole his ideas' and when he was trying to get his message across to the people in his team and members of the board. My interpretation of Steve Jobs from this movie is that he was a blunt, no-nonsense kinda entrepreneur. Admirable in some ways, but major asshole most of the time. True, Kutcher's impersonation of Jobs' slouched walk seemed somewhat over-exaggerated but I think he's come a long way from being a ditzy, pretty boy stoner. Kudos Kelso!




My ratings:
Cheese: 1 Block of Red Leicester [Mildly cheesy]


Some parts were just too biased towards the Apple company and how innovative they are and how far they've come. I don't deny that they've done well for themselves but at times it seemed a little too blatant.


Chocolate: One Cadbury Dairy Milk Bar [Semi-sweet]



I felt for Jobs when he pushed everyone away because of how much of a perfectionist he was and the only place he could go back to was his parents' house. I was actually quite moved because of how many men are seen crying in this movie. 

Favourite Scene + Line: 
When Jobs tells one of his managers "You're either with me or against me...and if you're not with me, then you can get the f*** out!" 
Loved the intensity.

Favourite moment:
When Jobs is going through his mail and he comes across a letter from his daughter. Hit the 'too-close-to-home' nerve just a tad. 

Show-stealer: 
The 'Rebel' technician on the motorbike. 
Okay maybe just because he reminded me of my ex. 
Product Placement: Duh. Apple.
Soundtrack: Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan, REO Speedwagon 
Enjoyed most of the song choices. Suited the 70s vibe really well.

Courtesy of IMDB:
Two goofs you should look out for: 
1. When Jobs visits a computer store in 1976 to arrange to sell the first Apple computers, several IBM monitors are on the shelf but they did not appear on the market until the IBM PC several years later. BOOM!
2. Just before Jobs takes over the Macintosh project in the early 1980's, a blue 1991-94 Chevy Cavalier sedan drives past in the parking lot. BOOM!
Two trivia tidbits: 
1. To prepare for his role, Ashton Kutcher followed a fruitarian diet, similar to Steve Jobs' reported diet. Days before shooting, he was hospitalized with pancreatitis. Yikes.
2. Almost all of the scenes involving Jobs' parents house and garage were filmed in the actual Los Altos, California house and garage where Steve Jobs grew up in the 1970s. Nice.

Here's the trailer if you're interested to know more:


NEXT UP: Elysium


Take it sleazy.


                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment