Saturday, September 21, 2013

No time for that now, Pinky...

[Update on The Big 250. I have managed to locate the first 10 titles on the list, with the exception of 1. Once I obtain that title, there's no turning back! I will embark on the exhilarating journey that will bring laughter, tears, horror, sadness and joy. In the meantime, hope you enjoy my ramblings about the movies of today.]

I decided that this review should have some background music to go along with it since I found this particular song to be quite apt.





Kick-Ass 2
Starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz & Christopher Mintz-Plasse (coincidence that the 3 main actors have 3 names?)
Directed by Jeff Wadlow




I absolutely loved this movie from start to finish and although it wasn't as great as the first one, there were many pivotal points that got to me. I liked how they tried to make Hit-Girl appear like a normal high school girl with all the same insecurities and issues that we all go through but at the same time she had the ability and skills to kill a man 'with his own finger.'




 Besides the fact that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is positively beyond yummy as Dave Lizewski, I think he was the best choice for the role because he has a certain vulnerability about him that you can relate to and he doesn't always win fights even though he's Kick-Ass (in more ways than one). I find that to be quite refreshing in a way that you feel like almost anybody could be a hero or a crime-fighter or justice keeper as long as you have the right attitude. That's probably the idea the comic book was trying to portray so they did a good job with the motion picture version. When Kick-Ass joined forces with other 'everyday' heroes to form an army of sorts, it made me feel like I wanted to be a part of it too.




The brilliant fight scenes took my breath away even though a lot of them were undoubtedly overly exaggerated and borderline impossible. The real moments that affected me were those that encompassed human emotions like loss, humiliation and grief. I also loved the underlying twisted humor in certain scenes and of course the violence and entertaining, witty dialogue.

I was hoping for more scenes with Jim Carrey since I thought his character was going to be the good guy that survives everything and lives to tell the tale. He was still amazing though and as Colonel Stars and Stripes, he reminded me a little bit of an older, funnier GI Joe action figure that had come to life.




This movie inspired me in many ways. It made me want to start training and working out again to become stronger physically and mentally. It taught me that no matter what obstacles you might face, no matter how people belittle you or make you feel unworthy of being who you are, everyone can become their own hero. And don't let any Motherf**kers tell you otherwise.

 My ratings:

Cheese: 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese (Not too cheesy, just about right)




I loved the fact that Hit-Girl also took a beating from the crazy Russian giant woman to highlight that at the end of the day, she's still just a teenager with some martial arts experience and not an actual warrior/fighter. Although, it was kind of annoying that after the epic battle, Kick-Ass had a broken nose, black eye and cuts all over, but all Hit-Girl had was a tiny band-aid on the corner of her face. Come on, she MUST have gotten wayyyy more injuries after being beaten to a pulp and subsequently thrown onto a glass table right?

Chocolate: A box of Royce chocolates




Very sweet when it came to the bonding experiences shared between the main characters, especially when Hit-Girl (as Mindy) climbs into Jake's window after being dumped in the middle of nowhere and cries on his shoulder. He tells her to 'beat them at their own game.'  Just the kind of tenderness that doesn't leave an overbearing, sickeningly sweet aftertaste in your mouth.

Favorite Scene:
When 'Mother Russia' practically annihilates about 6 to 8 cops AND their cars with her brute strength and animalistic roars. I mean, this b**ch literally throws a lawn mower through the windscreen of a cop car. That's pretty hard to beat.

Favorite Line:
Dave Lizewski: 'What's the matter, Chris? Shit hit your shorts?'
Chris D'Amico: 'Yeah, and I'm gonna wipe my ass with your face.' 
This witty exchange took place right before the battle between good and gnarly.

Favorite Moment:
This was fairly hard to pick because there were so many good scenes that I enjoyed. If I had to choose just one, it would probably be the revenge that Mindy dished out to the mean girls in her school. That was pretty epic. I wish I had that stick. I know a few people I'd like to try that on.


  Something tells me she's not here for the tupperware party.

Show-Stealer:
I'd have to say Mother Russia. She's just one of those creatures (or behemoths) you can't possibly ignore. She is the fittest woman I have seen in a long time and her energy on screen is intoxicating in a way that you'd shit your pants if you saw her walking towards you in a dark alley..or even in broad daylight in the middle of a suburban neighborhood for that matter.


Product Placement:
There were a few times they showed Hit-Girl's motorbike (even though now as I recollect the movie I don't remember what make it was)

Soundtrack:
Joan Jett, Rock & Roll type beats with catchy riffs and a pretty neat, electronic poppy song by Jessie J called 'Hero'

Courtesy of IMDB:
Two goofs to look out for:
1. When Dave is shot by Mindy while training, there are two bullet holes in his jacket when he has only been shot once.  BOOM!
2. When the villains are in their base, Chris has two guns on his costume. These guns subsequently vanish. BOOM!

Two trivia tidbits:
1. The lines "Try to have fun, otherwise, what's the point?" and "Yeah, there's a dog on your balls!" were both improvised by Jim Carrey.
2.  During the Flashback during the funeral, you can see the name Mark Millar on top of the poster. Mark Millar is the author of the Kick-Ass comics


Here's the trailer!




NEXT UP: The Way, Way Back




Take it sleazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment